Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Paper Mâché Owl - Part 21 - Getting Closer to Finishing the Paint

The owl is still a work in progress.  The initial underpainting came out a little more of an olive green rather than an olive brown, so I had to paint over that with a second coat of paint.  The body is painted, but I have not had time to work on the face area yet.  However, I am much happier with this layer of paint.  



The new color is a smoke gray.  I worked it into the feathers; leaving the previous dark spots.  The gray took away some of the hard edges from the dark paint.  This color has a nice camouflage effect to it.  The dark patterns make a great background for the next layer of paint.  

I am still working on bringing up the color.  The next layer will be spots of dark brown paint, probably burnt umber.  After that, there will be a layer of off white paint, probably a mixture of white an raw sienna.  I have not settled on that last color yet.  I will have to experiment to see which color combination looks best.  


It begs the question of how many coats of paint I plan to add to the bird.  Once the white paint is finished, I will start the final painting of the face, throat, and talons.  The face and the white feathers at the throat look a little chalky.  I had initially used titanium white.  It just did not look as I wanted so I brushed over it with some raw sienna.  It looked better, but still chalky.  I plan on using a different white on the next attempt.

I think it will be one or two more weeks before the project is finished.  I am looking forward to its completion.  I have spent seven months on this project so far.   



 





No comments: