Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Paper Mâché Owl - Part 22 - Painting Continued

I tried to get this last coat of paint on the owl, but only partially succeeded.  I have one side, the back, and a portion of the front painted.  It takes a long time to paint each of those feathers individually.  I have to stop every so often and change focal points.  But I am thinking that I am closing in on finishing this project.  


The final coat of paint is a mixture of white gesso and raw sienna.  I used gesso rather than titanium white because the titanium white tends to make the white look chalky.  The gesso still has some chalkiness to it, but not nearly as badly as the titanium.  

The head came out a little lighter than I would have liked.  I may have to go back in and add some browner tones to it.  When I look at it up close I can see that it just looks a little muddy. The head is supposed to be a little lighter than the body, but this time I think I made it a little too light.

I still have to paint the face, white collar, and talons.  That will be the end of this project.  I will show my final pictures on this post hopefully next week.  


Overall, I am pleased with how this project is coming together.

Check back late next Tuesday.  I usually try to get the post up by early morning, but lately my schedule has not been working well with this.  I hope to do better with the upcoming post.  Apologies to those who have checked early on Tuesday mornings.

No comments: