Sunday, November 4, 2012

Faux Tesla Coil Halloween Project-Part 9 & Tip of the Day

This week has really flown by.  I have managed to get some more work done on my project.  The paper clay finally dried.  I like paper clay, but it is a double edged sword.  Paper clay dries to a fairly smooth hard surface that needs little sanding.  Sometimes it shrinks and cracks and you have to repair it, ideally with more paper clay.  Paper clay is expensive compared to using paper strip methods of paper mache.  At this point I have used $21.00 worth of paper clay on this project. 

I had a number of cracks in the paper clay of this time.  I was out of paper clay and would have to buy another seven dollars worth of paper clay if I wanted to repair the cracks with that product.  Rather than spend the money, I decided to fall back on products I already had around the house.  I had some joint compound hanging around, so I filled the cracks with that and then gave the entire pumpkin man and the steam engine a coat of joint compound.  The joint compound is made of plaster of paris, which also sands easily.  (Make sure you wear a dust mask and eye protection when you sand.)

Once the coat of joint compound was dry, I sanded the project.  Then the project received a coat of gesso. The project is now ready to be painted.  Once it is completely painted, I will drill holes into the body and glue on the head and arms.    

I also painted some of the signs that will be a part of the diorama.  This diorama is about a traveling show, and canvas signs would have been a part of the advertising for a show in this era.  I think signs will help tell the story of the show.  I don't have any pictures of them yet. 

Tip of the Day:  The right gesso for the job.

I frequently mention that I use gesso on my projects.  Gesso is a mixture of paint and glue that serves as a primer coat.  You can make your own gesso, or purchase gesso at your arts and crafts store.  Gesso comes in a number of thicknesses.  You want to make sure that you have the right thickness of gesso for your project.

For readying panels or canvas for painting, or giving a project a primer coat, you would want to use thin gesso, that flows easily.  If you wanted to add body to a project you may choose a medium gesso.  If you wanted to make your painting look like thick oil paint that looks has been put on with a painting knife you would choose a heavy gesso.

When you purchase gesso, the label should have a chart, or state the thickness of the gesso (light, medium, or heavy).  Make sure that the gesso is going to be compatible with your project.  If you choose a heavy gesso, I recommend that you buy it in a jar rather than a bottle.  The heavy gesso is so thick that it is difficult to squeeze it out of the bottle shape.


No comments: