Wednesday, November 21, 2012

More Folk Art from the Cabin

I wanted to post a few more photos of the folk art from the cabin.  I wish I were a better photographer.  A lot of the pictures looked okay when I viewed them on the screen of the camera after taking them, but when I looked at them on the computer they did not look as nice.  So, when I go up in the spring, I will be retaking a lot of photos.  There is still more folk art that I wanted to take pictures of anyway.

The first photo is a picture of a painted rock.  I believe that this is a Ray Maybe piece also.  It is painted in his style.  It is a little picture of a person hiking in the mountains.  The front of the rock is very smooth.  It breaks off from a larger piece of rock in a fairly straight line.

Second photo:  This is a photo of the wood box at the cabin and a set of bellows.  My husband made these bellows about twenty-five years ago.  They are based on instructions that were printed in Mother Earth News.  They have held up well over the years.

Third photo:  I'll need to take a better picture of this painting.  It is a self-portrait painted by my mother.  She spent a lot of time at the cabin and loved it dearly.  I can't begin to tell you how much work she put into this cabin.  She helped install the flooring.  She painted inside and out.  And she hauled a lot of rock out of the stream to help maintain the dirt road.  I feel that her portrait watches over the place.

The last photo is a painted sign that hangs over the door.  I don't know if this was a commercial piece or if someone made it specifically for my father.  My father loved this sign.  A long time ago, there was a popular song called Those Were the Days My Friend  sung by Judy Collins.  The song was about two older people reminiscing about good times from their past.  My father was rather fond of the song, and this sign at the cabin is a reminder to take time to make memories.

Next time:  Now that I am back home, I've finished up the painting on the anthropomorphic pumpkin man.  I expect to have him glued together by the time I post on Sunday.  There will be new photos.

  


No comments: