Sunday, November 11, 2012

Pumpkin on a Hay Bale Art Doll

Just when you thought Halloween was over, here comes another of my creations.  This pumpkin man has a body made of wire, batting, string, and muslin.  His head is made from bake in the oven clay.  He is painted with craft paints.  Raffia was glued to the ends of the arms and legs to make him a scarecrow. (Once again the blog platform is giving me fits.  It won't allow me to have the next paragraph in its proper place. I had to add this filler or else there was a big blank space you might miss seeing all the photos.)

The little ghosts, bat, pumpkin, moons, and stars that are glued onto the flag and the piece of twine came from a craft store.  They were glued on with hot glue.  The flag has a piece of floral wire between the two layers of cloth to make it rigin enough to appear to be waving.

The hay bale is a piece of Styrofoam covered with bits of raffia.  I thought that I would cover the block of Styrofoam with white glue, sprinkle on some bits of raffia and be done with it.  Was I ever wrong on that idea.  The raffia did not stick well with the white glue.  Sprinkling raffia did not give the impression of a real bale of hay.  I had to go with a rather labor intensive Plan B.  I had to swipe a small area with tack glue, then lay the pieces of raffia down individually in organized rows.  I added the twine because that is how I remember bales of hay, rectangles tied with twine.  Now most hay comes in giant rolls.

The hay bale is a piece of Styrofoam covered with bits of raffia.  I thought that I would cover the block of Styrofoam with white glue, sprinkle on some bits of raffia and be done with it.  Was I ever wrong on that idea.  The raffia did not stick well with the white glue.  Sprinkling raffia did not give the impression of a real bale of hay.  I had to go with a rather labor intensive Plan B.  I had to swipe a small area with tack glue, then lay the pieces of raffia down individually in organized rows.  I added the twine because that is how I remember bales of hay, rectangles tied with twine.  Now most hay comes in giant rolls.

The shirt is made from unbleached muslin.  The overalls are made from a scrap of blue cotton duck material.  They looked rather plain so I added a few patches in orange.  That changed the outfit from something plain to something eye catching. 

Although this is appears to be a simple project, it took many hours to complete.  This figure in only seven and a half inches tall.  Working in such small detail in very time consuming.  It takes more dexterity to work with small details.      


No comments: