Sunday, November 18, 2012

Folk Art Photos from the Cabin

I can see that my regular readers have been checking in to look for my latest post.  I have been away to our cabin in the mountains.  I have not done any work on my Faux Tesla Halloween Project since I left.  I thought I'd post some pictures of the folk art and the interior of the cabin today.  I hope it will be a treat to friends and family who have spent time there and have wonderful memories of it.  Hopefully, the rest of my readers will enjoy the pictures as well.  Once again, I will apologize to my readers for the crazy format.  If I want to get all of my pictures on here I have to put the paragraphs in an unusual formation.




This is the wood cook stove at our cabin.  Anyone who has been there knows that many great meals have been prepared on it.  Although we have some space heaters to help keep the place warm, my husband and I prefer to keep the stove going when it is cold.  If you look closely, you can see the steam coming from the spout of the kettle.  During the summer we prefer to cook on the porch on a camp stove, or use the microwave or toaster oven, because once this stove heats the place up it can take hours to cool the place down.

The stove burns wood quickly.  At this time of year we will fill the wood box completely full three to four times a day.  Some years would wood has been purchased.  However, the last couple of years we have had to remove trees that were threatening the house so my husband, son, daughter-in-law, and I have split and stacked our own wood.  It is a lot of work.



The Rocky Mountain Cabin sign on the top of the rack is carved into an old piece of a chair seat.  If anyone in the family knows who made the piece, please let me know.  I did not take it down to check the back for the signature, but there is not one on the front.  The lower sign is one that is commercially available.  In front of that sign are some old rusty spikes from a railroad spur that ran up the mountain generations ago.  It was built to bring logs down off the mountain when the area was being used for logging.  Once in a while someone finds a spike or piece of a switch.  That is all that is left of the railroad line.

One of my favorite pieces of folk art at the cabin is the cutting board, knife and pot rack created by Ray Mabe.  The folk art decorations run around the entire perimeter of the board.  It has resided at the cabin for many years.  Ray enjoyed painting in a primitive style.  Not everyone cares for this style, but I love this piece.  The bottom picture is a close up of the picture on the front of the cutting board.  You can see the RM signature of Ray Mabe painted on the rock to the right of the center fence post in the picture.

As Thanksgiving is this week, I will be pretty busy.  I will be posting some more pictures of the folk art on Wednesday.  By next Sunday I should have the latest pictures of the Faux Tesla Halloween Project.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments: