Sunday, October 5, 2014

Goblin Halloween Diorama- Part 25- Making Trees - Field Project

Branch sized increased after plaster cloth.
Plaster with rough texture.
Sort of a quick post today.  I've been working on making trees for the diorama.  I completed the wiring and taping of the second tree. I started adding the plaster cloth wrap on the first tree, but it is not yet complete.  I still have a few more branches and the roots to wrap before I finish this tree.  I added a few large pieces of plaster cloth wrap onto the second tree, but have not added plaster cloth to the branches.  I had originally considered experimenting with making my own plaster cloth, but with Halloween closing in, I decided that it would be more time efficient to just purchase some more plaster cloth wrap.  If we had not had a plumbing disaster that caused me to repair a large portion of my home, I would have had this diorama completed a long time ago.  

Today's blog focus is what the tree looks like before and after the plaster cloth wrap is applied.  It adds a lot of volume to the branches.  I think it may add more volume than if I had been using strip pieces of paper mache', but not so much as to make the product unusable for this purpose. 

I used the plaster cloth wrap mainly because I had some left over from another project.  However, the quicker drying time for the plaster cloth was also a consideration.  I would have had to wait a day or more between coats of paper mache'.  And if I had used paper mache' I would probably have had to use at least two coats, perhaps three.  With the plaster cloth, it was one coat and done.

Plaster cloth can be smoothed to a smooth finish and sanded, or it can be left with a very rough texture.  I chose to have a rough texture because I want it too look like tree bark.  Once everything is dry, it will be painted brown and given a dark wash.  The tree should have a very textured look once the painting is complete.

It is Sunday, so it is time for the picture of my field project.  Today's photo was taken at 9:11 am.  Winds were light and variable.  The temperature was 49 degrees Fahrenheit.  We have not had frost yet, but it is coming soon. 

Check back Wednesday for more on the diorama.

No comments: