Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Goblin Halloween Diorama - Part 26 - Trees Continued

Trees have been covered in plaster cloth wrap strips.
I have completed the plaster wrap of the trees.  I know it does not look like I have made all that much progress, but it is a lot of work.  It took about six hours of work to get the plaster wrap on all the limbs.  One problem with using the plaster wrap is that it tended to crack as the limbs were moved about while they were being wrapped.  I patched over it with other pieces of plaster cloth wrap.  If further cracks develop, they will probably be patched with drywall patching plaster.  I have some left over from another project.

Trees will be near the house on the diorama.
The roots help to keep the trees balanced and standing upright.  I've always found tree roots to be kind of creepy.  They remind me of tentacles.   It also reminds me that some trees can clone themselves through their roots.  When I was growing up,  we had silver maples in the yard.  They were beautiful trees, but they sent out root runners everywhere.  Small trees sprang up all over the place.  And as the trees aged, the root runners grew thicker
and gnarly, creating a trip hazard, and were a nuisance to mow over top of them.  I remember that the roots would develop a callus where the mower hit them. 

So that is about as far as I have gotten with the project.  I've had a busy week and I expect things to get busier.  The holiday season is coming up fast.  The trees did not take nearly as long as the house.  I hope to have them painted by the next time I blog though. 

No comments: