Wednesday, October 15, 2014

More Halloween Decor 2014

I think I have just about reached critical mass on Halloween decor.  It is everywhere, and I still need to places to put things.  I have two large dioramas to set out, but there is no place to put them upstairs.  I guess they will go downstairs in the den.  The den is pretty full of stuff too.  So are the kitchen and bathroom.  Hmmm, perhaps an addition to the house is in order.  (Just joking on that.)

Our door knocker is an imp on a mushroom.  Or maybe it is an elf.  Who knows what its creator intended it to be.  It has been with us for many years.  I've never seen another one like it.

I made the ceramic disc with the man in the moon face.  The face came from a pattern book on stained glass.  The pattern really appealed to me, but would have been a very complicated stained glass piece.  It would have looked great though.  Maybe one day I will take up stained glass.  Stained glass is mostly my husband's interest.

 The griffin at the right of the third picture is a cast iron door stop.   It is a contemporary piece, although we have had it for years.  About the time that I started getting nostalgic for the cast iron door stops I remember my grandparents having as a child, the price of antique door stops went through the roof.  I don't have any antique ones.

The center figure is one of my art dolls called Jack of Autumn.  He is the Jack (nature spirit) that comes and throws leaves on your lawn.  The leaves falling from his hand swirl in the breeze.

The smiling cat-headed figure is a bobble head doll.  It is a commercial piece.  The figure is made from paper mache' and the orange and black border on the base is a chenille stem.

The man in the moon figure in the fourth photo is also a commercial piece.  The shape of the lips make it look more like a woman in the moon.  The "man in the moon"  is more of a western concept.  Early Germanic tradition always held that it was a female.  Some countries don't see an anthropomorphic face in the moon at all; they see a rabbit.  I guess that what it looks like depends on your location.

The picture of the witch hat was one I painted.  The design was from a magazine article that was teaching you how to paint.  I think the magazine title was Paint Works, but it has been so many years that I can't say that is for certain.

The little witch on the left is from the Jim Shore collection.  It was a gift from my mother.  She will always be special to me.

Sometimes I just have fun with fabric.  The cloth figure of the witch was a commercial fabric piece.  I added batting and a backing fabric and quilted it to make the details pop.  The hair is embroidery threaded that has been knotted and frayed. 

I will be back to blogging on the Goblin Halloween diorama next time I post.  I hope my readers enjoy some of my Halloween collection.




No comments: