Monday, October 20, 2014

Photos from the Cabin- Photos

New wall and cabinet paint colors and new wood slat ceiling.
We have been up to the cabin.  I hope regular readers have enjoyed the photos of some of my Halloween collectibles I posted for while I was away.  I'm back now and ready to get back to work on the diorama as soon as I get all the laundry caught up that is. 

 It rained almost the whole time we were there.  We arrived on Friday, and did not see the sun until Thursday.  We had planned to do a lot of indoor painting, so the rain was not that much of a problem.  It rained Friday night but although it looked like it was going to pour any minute, the rain did hold off on Saturday until the evening. The break in the rain gave us a chance to get down to the Wine and Garlic Festival held at Rebec Vineyards.  We brought rain gear with us
just in case.  No need to let the threat of rain
spoil a good time. 

Trees in the mist.
From Saturday evening to Thursday it poured rain virtually non-stop.  Then the high wind and flash flood warnings came up on the weather radio.  The stream behind the cabin was roaring.  By that time, it was too dangerous to leave even if we wanted to do so.  It was safer to shelter in place.  The National Weather Service reported that winds were blowing at 50 to 65 miles per hour.  The ground was saturated by days of rain.  Steep mountain slopes, super-saturated ground, and wind are a bad combination.  A number of trees came down across the road.  Fortunately, the trees had been cleared when we were ready to leave the mountains.  We bring a chain saw with us each time just in case we have to clear the road in order to get up there or out of there. 

More roadside art.
We continued our painting on the inside of the cabin.  Things are starting to pull together.  We completed painting the walls of the dining area and living room.  After that, we started painting trim and the upper cabinets in the kitchen.  My husband and I had a tag team approach to painting the trim.  He would get on the ladder and paint the upper part of the window.  Once he had painted down to where I could reach, he would move the ladder over to the upper part next window and start painting while I finished painting the first window.    By the time he was finished with the second window, I was ready to start and he would move on to the next window.  We were in a small space and having two ladders just wasn't feasible.  I think that teaming up on the windows made the painting go faster. 

We did get some sun on Thursday and Friday.  We used most of the time to rake leaves.  The leaves were still quite wet, so it was a bit of a job.   I wish we had time to let the leaves dry out more, but we had to head for home. I took time to get a few photos.  Many of the trees lost their leaves during the high winds.  There was more color up there before the storm came through.  Autumn is leaving quickly this year.  The weather forecast before we left said that the first snow flakes would be flying at the higher elevations this weekend.

On our travels, we came across another piece of unusual road art.  This piece was in Beuna Vista.  My husband knew what character it is, but I don't remember the name.  It is from one of the Transformer movies I think.  I could not get a better shot of it because I had to snap it as we drove by it. 

No comments: