Sunday, April 12, 2015

Not what I Expected

When you experiment with art supplies, you have to expect that sometimes things will not go as planned.  That happened in my plan to make a homemade clay to use when making the head for my anthropomorphic doll.  That is what happened with my project this week.  What I ended up with was a sticky mess that only hardened after slithering off the armature onto the table.  I'm glad I had plastic piece underneath it to keep the table clean.

If you had seen me working on this you would have had to laugh.  It pulled like taffy, trailing stringy pieces everywhere you touched it.  I was thoroughly covered with it.  I think I might have some in my hair still.  The more I tried to get the clay to stay on the armature the worse it became.  I did not take a picture of the mess.  Perhaps I should have, but I did not want to get my camera anywhere near me at the moment.

I think I had the mixture too moist. Once the clay was on the armature it started to very slowly slide off.  It was like watching a disaster in slow motion.  Eventually I decided that the only thing to do was to start over with a Plan B. 

This was a particularly busy week for me, so I did not have time to get to my Plan B yet.  Fortunately, the week is very clear and I expect to work on the anthropomorphic figure a lot this week.  I will have new photos on Thursday. 

No comments: